Thursday, March 15, 2018

EATING AL-BAIK FRIED CHICKEN


When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  But while I cannot literally do this, I will metaphorically apply this in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.  As an expat in the Kingdom, my goal is to witness and experience the things that can only found in Saudi Arabia like seeing the sand dunes, houses made of clay and bricks, wearing traditional thobe, buying Saudi gold and even eating their well-known dishes like kabsa, shawarma and their most famous broasted chicken from Al-Baik Chicken Restaurant.

Now, when you talk the most delicious broasted chicken in Saudi Arabia, the first thing that always comes to your mind is no other than Al-Baik.  If you are expatriate in Saudi Arabia, you can relate to this.  Al-Baik is very famous in Saudi Arabia for its scrumptiousness and unique taste.  I have been craving Al-Baik since I heard about it.  I am based in the eastern province of the Kingdom while Al-Baik Restaurant is located in the city of Jeddah in western province.  Travelling across the Kingdom from east to west is not that easy, unless you don’t have problem by plane.  And since my work doesn’t allow to bring me there, besides I don’t have personal reason to go there so I just asked a colleague to bring me Al-Baik broasted chicken when they go there.

All the way from Jeddah, the long much awaited goal is over, I got my first Al-Baik broasted chicken.   Served in an aluminum mould covered with their own cup, its logo of a smiling friendly rooster is printed on it, seems it welcomes me to open the pack.   At 13 riyals, there are four pieces of chicken parts.  There is a piece of soft and delicious bun and golden crispy French fries.  The smell is great and it is promising and I can’t wait for my first bite.  The moment I had, true enough to say it is really delicious that when bitten and chew, there is distinctive taste that comes out.  I think it is a kind of spice and herbs that I do not know what are they.  For me it is not salty and although is cooked in deep fry but is not that too much oil.  Arguably, this is the best tasting broasted chicken I have ever tasted, for now.  And what makes Al-Baik broasted chicken unique is its signature garlic sauce which is the specialty that is not available anywhere in the Kingdom.

There is something mysterious thing why the massive customers are patiently waiting in the long cue just to get the taste of Al-Baik food of chains which is exclusively available only in Jeddah.  My first taste of Al-Baik broasted chicken is fulfilling.  Yes it is just a food and maybe it is kind of silly thing and it is not just making a big deal out of it.  But let just say having eaten it is not every expatriate can have the chance.  Let just say it is a simple plan that when completed makes big relief.  Al-Baik is Arabic word which literally translates “pick, choose or select” in English.  Through this, I can say I chose to have it otherwise I will miss one of my goals that can only achieve while in Saudi Arabia.  For me the meaning of Al-Baik is choosing what you want while there is a chance.


No comments: